Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2015

LEGO 10 speed transmission, 5x2


A Lego 10 speed transmission, really??? Out of Legos?? Yep that’s right, the transmission is comprised of a 5 speed box followed by a 2 speed box, and the low gear in the 2 speed box is 3:1, while high gear is direct drive or 1:1. I am unaware of what the ratios in the 5 speed box are, as they weren’t listed on the moc's homepage, and I didn’t take the time to figure them out when I was building it. The CV joint and universal joint was placed between the two transmissions to overcome the slight offset of the axle in the 5 speed. When pinned together the output and input didn’t line up so the use of the CV joint was the easiest route to overcome that problem. Now why did I make this transmission you might ask, well I wanted to see if I could, and it turned out fabulous, the 5 speed transmission is a MOC I found on Rebrickable created by neo. 1st and 6th gear will crackle when too much resistance is applied to the output shaft, the crackle is the gears jumping teeth with the next gear it meshes with. The device built on top of the 2 box was built to apply resistance to the rubber wheel, with the use of a worm gear turning an 8 tooth which is directly connected to a 4x7 bent lift arm, thus applying resistance.

I plan to build a "car" around this transmission, putting either an I6 or V8 in front of the transmission, and a differential after the transmission. The car wont drive, but it will be a model to demonstrate ratios, and torque vs speed. Until next time, remember, if you can dream it, you can build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment